Discussion Questions: Chapter 10 Intercultural Competence in Interpersonal
Relationships
Due: Tuesday, February 4, 2014; 11am
1. What do you do to preserve your
"face"?
2. Why do you
think facework is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships?
1. There are certain things that I do to preserve my “face”. The first thing that I do is to make sure that my actions reflect my true self. I’m not going to act rude and condescending to people when I’m not a rude or condescending kind of person. I also treat others with respect, just like I would want to be treated. I also make sure to be helpful to people throughout my day, like answering questions for people or holding a door for someone that was either leaving where I was going in or a few steps behind me.
ReplyDelete2. Our book states that facework refers to the actions people take to deal with their own and others’ face needs. I think facework is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because it is a large part in how we communicate with others. You wouldn’t want to unintentionally insult someone just by bringing up something you noticed about them. You need to make sure that the way you talk to someone and react to what they are telling you is respectful. If you are respectful to the other person, chances are they will be respectful of you as well.
1. I preserve my face by acting the way how I want others to see me. When I hang out with different friend groups, I do not change the way that I act just because I am hanging out with different people. I also treat others in the same way as I want to be treated. I think that is a really important part of preserving my "face."
ReplyDelete2. I think face work is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because the face work is how people view you. Our book says, "our face is the favorable social impression that a person wants others to have of him or her." I completely agree with this because the way you act towards a person in the beginning of a relationship could make or break the relationship. If you make a good first face impression then you are more likely to have a great relationship with that person.
1. I preserve my "face" by acting the way I want people to perceive me. Social media is a big part of preserving my face. Watching what I say and upload plays a huge impact. Posting negative comments and obscene pictures is definitely not the way to go about preserving my face. In face to face contact, I try to maintain a positive and helpful attitude by encouraging others and being polite. Treating others the way I would want to be treated is also a way I go about preserving my "face".
ReplyDelete2. Facework is important in interpersonal relationships because it is how people see you and how they interpret your actions. According to the textbook face can be described as the way a person wants others to see him or her. It has three characteristics: social, impression, and favorable attributes. It is important to maintain a good face in order to have good relationships with people. First impressions are important when meeting new people because that indicates whether or not the relationship is going to continue. It also plays a large part in the way we communicate with others. Not thinking before speaking can lead into insulting others. Respect towards others is a two way street meaning if you give it out, it will come back to you.
Great job relating to the impact of social media and how one needs to manage their impression carefully online!
Delete1. There are many ways that I preserve my "face" and not all of them are easy to do. First of all, I always make sure that what I say to others, whether it be through social media or direct contact, is reflective not only of myself but of them as well. I have to make sure that even if sometimes I don't necessarily believe what I am saying, part of my "face" is making sure that what I say to others doesn't hurt them. In addition, I can preserve my "face" by not putting anything inappropriate on the internet through social media venues. I believe that this is one of the ways that people lose "face" easily because once you put something on the internet it won't ever go away and people will always remember you for that. Also, when I am in social situations I try to stay in a positive and uplifting mood just because even though I do have a lot of things going on in my life, I don't want people to think I am depressed all the time.
ReplyDelete2. I believe facework is really important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because it is how people see you. In the textbook they talk about the difference between saving face with a family member or just a stranger on the subway. With your family, whom you most likely speak with everyday, you want to save your face. Even though your family accepts who you are, you still want to maintain a certain face with them. On the other hand, you don't really care what the gentleman on the subway sitting next to you thinks because you will probably never see him again. This also relates to interpersonal relationships with people of different cultures. Actions in some cultures may be considered face-threating while in other cultures it's acceptable. It is important to take this in to account when you are interacting with other people because you don't want to insult them and then not know what you did wrong.
1. Preserving your "face" could mean many things to different individuals. For myself, I preserve my "face" in order to allow people to see who I want them to see. I do this by showing people the person that God wants me to be. By praying everyday it helps me to remember who I am supposed to be, and what "face" I need to preserve in order to get to heaven. This does not come easily to most people, myself included. I struggle everyday to make sure that I have love in my heart so that my "face" show the love of God. It makes every decision difficult, especially when others are mean to me, but I know that killing them with kindness will go a lot farther than stooping to their level. This mindset allows me to preserve the "face" that God wants me to have.
ReplyDelete2. Facework is a crucial part when dealing with interpersonal relationships. It's just like when you go to your first day of school. Most people will dress their best because they are making first impressions. With interpersonal relationships, we are setting a standard for ourselves and we want others to see our best qualities, especially the first time we meet them. Until we get on a deeper level in the relationship our "face" is the only impression they have of us. The more they are able to be around and get to know that "face" the better and deeper our relationships will be. Facework is especially important when dealing with intercultural relationships, because until we are face to face with these different cultures, we will never have a deeper understanding of that culture. This is especially important when dealing with international business situations. Being face to face allows us to read people and know them better by just seeing them and interpreting their "face".
1. To preserve my "face", I subconsciously and consciously do many things. Firstly, I try to treat others how I want to be treated. By doing this I try not to offend anyone I am speaking with and I think about how I would feel if I were in their shoes. I also try to come across to others as the person I truly am. I think about things like my resting face and my nonverbal signals. With this, I also make a conscious decision to avoid saying the Lord's name in vain or curse because I want people to see me as a respectful and mindful girl.One of the biggest ways I save "face" is on social networks. I find myself being compelled to tweet or status different things that common people would post, but then I think about how I want others to see me. I do not want to be portrayed as egocentric, unsympathetic, dramatic, or judgmental.
ReplyDelete2. Facework according to the book is defined, "the actions people take to deal with their own or others' face needs." I think this is a key factor interpersonal relationships and communication. The control dimension of people's face is important in this sense especially because to make communication work, both ends have to be engaged and interested to a degree. The biggest instances where face is threatened is when communication is happening interculturally and in relationships where a high degree of power is being used. Firstly, when two people of different cultures are talking they might not know each other's social face-threats at stake. Secondly, where power is at stake, there is a high face-risk when communicating between the owner and employee compared to between two employees. In all interpersonal relationships, facework is a factor that should be accounted for and can be manipulated easily.
I preserve my "face" by acting the way I am. When meeting new people I'm very shy but when I'm with friends and family I'm a very open and talkative person. I also act how I want people to see me. When I'm talking to adults or am around adults that don't know me well, I am very polite. When on social media, I don't post anything that could put me in a bad light in case future perspective employers (or anyone for that matter) might see.
ReplyDelete2. It is important because it is the way a person sees you. If you make a bad first impression on someone, the likeliness that said person is going to want to get to know you better is unlikely. It's also important in how we communicate with a person. If you are disrespectful or rude to a person, they will dish the same right back.
1. Personally, preserving your "face" means that you should offer the world a view of yourself as you want to be seen. When I present information, whether online, in person, in a paper, etc. I always make sure that I offer an accurate insight of myself. I try to reveal my sense of professionalism, my work ethics, my personal ethics, my values, and my sense of humor. I think that in modern day society, it is hard to preserve your sense of face. Society has a "face" that is supposedly desirable for different groups depending on gender, age, race, etc. To adjust to the demands to society many often feel pressured to change their "face". I think it is vitally important, to preserve a remotely honest society, that we express ourselves as the different individuals that we truly are. Each "face" has something unique to contribute to the world, and that "face" should never change regardless of what society may think.
ReplyDelete2. Facework is important in interpersonal communication because, in our diverse world, it is important to recognize individuals' faces. When we interpret an individual's face we can learn about their culture, values, sense of humor, personality, and much more. When communicating on a more personal level, rather than a very general level, we might reveal a more personal face. For example, when I first meet someone I might put on a very general face that makes me seem professional, yet laid back, friendly, and strong willed. When I get closer to people, I tend to reveal that I am sarcastic, I have insecurities, I tend to procrastinate, and other more personal things. Whether communicating on a personal or general level, recognizing the unique "faces" in the group can help make communication more effective and more efficient even in a diverse setting.
1. I preserve my face by being selective about what I post in social media and changing the way I act depending on the people I am with. I want people to see me as a fun, friendly, caring person. I also have to monitor my actions to be appropriate for the crowd I am with. How I act with my best friends is much different than how I would act around classmates, with teachers and coaches, or during a job interview. You never know when you might need someone's help, so it is important to "save face" and show everyone your best side.
ReplyDelete2.That being said, facework is important in interpersonal relationships because we as humans have a desire to be well liked by people. How do we do that? By being friendly to new people, making good first impressions, and making lasting impressions so that those people remember good things about us later, or remember us at all. When dealing with intercultural relationships it is important to put on a good face so that people of other cultures get a good impression of our culture. Along with that, it is important that we keep an open mind when interacting with other cultures so that we can receive the same good impression.
1. I preserve my "face" by making sure that what I do will be approved of. I make sure that I do nothing unprofessional or inappropriate because anything can follow you. There are many social media sites and many ways that what you do can later affect your relationships and therefor your future. I want to become an elementary school teacher or early childhood education teacher so for me keeping my "face" professional and respectable is extremely important to bettering myself and my career.
ReplyDelete2. It is important to have Facework in interpersonal communication because it helps people gather information on you and therefor develop an understanding of who you are and what makes you a great person or not so great person depending on how you present your facework. Everyone wants to be liked and desired and spend time with people that can be liked or desired so if you are not presenting your facework well that will affect you relationships in life and future opportunities.
1.) I preserve face by spending a great deal of time just trying to keep other people's spirits up. I would rather be the girl who can make anybody laugh or smile by making a weird face than the girl who can't show any emotion. I think by doing this it shows other people that I'm not a bad person, and I'm open to how the world can work, which I am. It's an honesty I don't think many people have. I would hope in turn this would allow people to be lighthearted to not only me but the people in their lives as well. Additionally, I save face by limiting the content I post on social media sites and by not involving myself in unnecessary situations. I try to keep things to myself in order to not let people have a skewed vision of who I am or what I'm about.
ReplyDelete2.) I think facework is important because it provides an understanding of how other people think and work. Through facework you can establish amazing relationships but only if you are tuned in to how people wish to be initially perceived. You have to be on the same wavelength when talking to another person or else the end result could be disastrous.
1) I preserve my face by controlling my natural instincts on how to act in front of people until I am comfortable in my environment or am able to be in a group of people with which I am completely comfortable. When I am with groups that I am able to completely be myself with, people often tell me that I am extremely open and willing to share anything. I feel that people that are viewed that way in general can be found as overpowering or annoying, and that is not the type of person that I want people to know me as. I have found that it is much easier to just be a quiet observer until I am completely comfortable with people so that they do not take my personality in the wrong way.
ReplyDelete2) I think that facework is important because it provides a way for people to understand you better without just verbal communication. However, it can be misleading because people often change how they act in uncomfortable situations because everyone has the desire to be liked and understood and not seen as obnoxious or rude. Facework is still essential, however, because no one has the ability to change themselves so much that people can not get some sense of their overall personality. It is also essential because, just by looking at someone, we can determine a lot of things about them that could help us to relate to them, such as race, gender, sense of humor, and interests, which is essential when trying to determine ways to relate to a new person.
1.) To preserve my face I act how I want others to perceive me. I don't want to act like someone I am not and then give people the idea that the way I act is who I really am, so I just act how i want people to see who I really am. I am an outgoing person and I typically am nice and positive, so on social media especially I don't portray myself in a negative manner instead in a way that I want people to see me. I have always been taught "treat others how you would want to be treated" which is also another way that I preserve my face. I try to be calm and watch who I am around when I say certain things to preserve my face.
ReplyDelete2.) Facework is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because it is how we respond to dealing with our face needs. Most people want to be well liked and in order to be liked by many people you have to have good facework rather than rude or mean facework. In an interpersonal relationship you are on a more personal level with someone and they are the ones who are going to be seeing your true "face so you need to preserve your face, rather than preserving it in front of some stranger on the street. Facework can be jeopardized if you don't preserve your face and give off bad impressions and mannerisms. You need to be respectful, especially in an interpersonal relationship because that is typically with someone you are more intact with.
ReplyDelete1) To preserve my face I think that it is important to have an admirable reputation. I maintain this position with simple gestures such as being kind to all that I come in contact with and treating others with respect even in tough situations. I believe that society has mislead us when telling us not to care what others think because unfortunately other peoples opinions of us are important. I think that this is true because in life we do not always get to make crucial decisions for ourselves. For example, we cannot control if we get into our dream college or get the job we’ve always wanted. That is why I think that it’s important to preserve my face, and another simple way I do this is by keeping my social network profiles clear of anything inappropriate that may bring negative attention towards me.
2.) Facework is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because our reputations are everything. If we have a dismissive stature when meeting someone new, that first impression might not even matter. Carrying ourselves well and making smart decisions are important in our interpersonal relationships because it makes sense that we want to recognize great qualities that we see in others in ourselves.
1. I preserve my face by acting how I want others to see me. I try to treat others the way I would like to be treated. I watch what I post on social media and what I say to others in person as well. I do not want to be perceived as someone who is negative or not caring of others.
ReplyDelete2. I think that facework is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because it is the way others see you. Most people want to be liked by others and in order to do this it's important to make a good first impression rather than a bad or negative first impression. I think that good facework is essential for developing good relationships with others.
1.) To preserve my face I try to act how I want people to see me. I try to have a positive attitude everyday and be happy because I want people to view me as a nice and happy person. I try to live in a way that at any moment people could view my life whether I'm at home or out with friends, I still act like the same person and have the same personality because that is my "face". I don't want people to see me as someone who is living a different life depending on who I am with, so I also try to keep the same "face" no matter where I am.
ReplyDelete2.) I think facework is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because its how we are viewed by others, and how we view other people. The book states, "Our face is the favorable social impression that a person wants others to have of him or her." Facework is important because it is what we project to others and how we want them to see us. Facework describes the actions people take to deal with their own and others' face needs, therefore it is important because it shows the relationship of how we respond to others' faces and how we try to preserve our own face.
1. I preserve my face by having a positive outlook on life. I treat others how I would want to be treated, and I act how I want other people to see me. I don't want to be that person who is always rude and disrespect when with my friends or other people. I want to be the person that makes people happy and feel good about themselves. When I do that I get a sense pride and a warm feeling in my stomach, so it is beneficial for both myself and other people. I think if more people had a better face and watched what they said society would be a lot better off.
ReplyDelete2. Facework is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because it is how we deal with our own and others face needs. You want to be respectful to other people because you want to leave a good impression on them. If you are meeting someone for the first time and leave a bad impression, they might not get over it no matter how nice and considerate you are the next time. I think facework is a key component to a good, strong, healthy relationship.
1. To preserve my "face" I act how I want to be seen to others. I know that face has three characteristics social, impression, and favorable attributes . The social is how others see me and I want people to see me as a good person someone who they can depend on. Even though we are told almost our whole lives "who cares what others think" this wrong because we do care what others think and hopefully it is good things about us otherwise we are looked at as a bad person possible. Impression is simplied down to people will act as though others are appreciated and admirred. This simply means to me everyone just wants to be cared about by atleast someone else in their life. Favorable attributes are what people want to be acknowledged for. By going about these three things beeing a good person and doing good I will be able to preserve my face and be looked at, cared for, and treated right. That is how I preserve my "face".
ReplyDelete2. I think facework is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because facework "refers to the actiond people take to deal with their own and others' face needs". You need to understand how the person acts socially and understand their norms. Someone will be less likely to talk to you or deal wih you if you do not understand their way of going about their actions. You need to understand ones culture to a point as well to know how to handle different communication styles. You do not want to insult the person or people you are dealing with.
Nice job linking directly back the the class reading,
Delete1) To preserve my face I choose which situations to get involved with and which ones to stay out of. For example, if people are at a party drinking I won't be at that party cause that's not something I agree with and I think it changes the way people view you. However, if someone is being mean to a friend of mine or degrading any of my relationships I will confront them about it because the way the people I'm in those relationships view me is more important to me than anyone else.
ReplyDelete2)Facework is important when dealing with interpersonal relationships because everyone gets a first impression of one another and the first thing that happens you don't want to be degrading to the other person. It helps us maintain some kind of guard to protect us from how others view us until we feel that level of comfort with them.