Monday, February 17, 2014

Discussion Questions: Perception
Due: Thursday, February 20, 2014; 11am

1. Does your perception of different occupations effect your career choice?
2. Do gender stereotypes still play a role in todays society? Why or why not?

21 comments:

  1. 1) My perception of different occupations does effect my career choice because some occupations can have a negative or dangerous connotation. For example, when I think of a Navy Seal I picture the men in the movie The Lone Survivor. There mission was so dangerous and I would never be able to put myself through that. My perception of Navy Seal's is that they will be shot at on every mission and they fight for their lives every time they go out a mission. Another example is a plumber. I perceive these people as unsuccessful that didn't do very well in school or were financially unable to progress in their academic careers. I know that this is a very negative perception of a plumber and that it is very judgmental, however this is my perception and I know that I would never want to pick that career for the face image of being a plumber.
    2) I think that gender does still play a role in today's society because of the perception that people have for different occupations. Many people perceive wealthy business people as males. I feel as though this perception comes from back when males were the only ones able to be successful, and the thought and description of successful people comes down to males still this day. On the other hand our perception of nurses would be women, however that's not the case these days because there is an equivalent amount of men and women in that field. I think these perceptions are due to how things used to be in society. The image never fully changes even if the amount of men and women are equivalent in the occupation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I do think that my perception of different occupations affects my career choice, mostly because of how my family as a whole perceives different occupations. I think that people are less likely to choose a career if they think that other people will not respect their choice because people want to look as good in the eyes of other people as they can.

    2) I do think that gender roles play a role in today's society because a lot of people still think that men should go off to work and be the main source of income while the woman stays home and takes care of the home and children. Also, in most cases, people who are in positions of power (managers, CEOs, presidents, etc.) are men and it is very difficult for a woman to earn these positions. However, we have come a long way from the old way of living, because women are allowed to work and often have to in order to support their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. My perception of different occupations definitely affects my career choice. For example, my dad got his bachelors degree in business and marketing and all of my life he has had a job he doesn't like. He was always stressed and he never really seemed like he liked what he did and he always took work home with him. Due to this, my perception of the business career path is tainted by my perception that a career in business would give me stress. I've always known that I didn't want to do that. I have perceptions of other jobs as well such as social workers. I have heard that their job really takes a toll on them because it's impossible to help every troubled person. I think peoples perceptions of certain jobs play a huge role in how they pick them.\ because it is something they will do their entire lives.
    2. I do believe that gender stereotypes play a role in today's society even though I wish that wasn't the case. Women are still expected to be mothers and take care of the house. It's definitely not as bad as it was 50 years ago, but there is still a pay gap between men and women and many other things that separate the genders. Women aren't seen as authoritative in most settings. So when women do make it to the top like men, they still face the difficulty of seeming less powerful than men. However, there is some discrimination of men too. One profession that comes to mind is nursing. If you were to ask anyone if they think of men or women when they think of nursing, most would say women. It is a predominantly female profession. The same could be said for physical therapists, it is mainly a female profession. The roles of these jobs are just associated with women in society. However, I believe if we work on this, things could change. I know a lot more guys here at St. Ambrose that are currently studying to be nurses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.) I do think that my perception of different occupations affects my career choice. I view every occupation differently than my family does. For example, my grandparents want me to become a CPA, but I perceive that job as very stressful and boring. My dad is an account now and all he does is sit at a desk all day in front of a computer. I do not see myself doing the same thing over and over again, instead I choice a career in education. Everyday is different and I will get different experiences from each individual class.

    2.) I do think that gender roles still play a role in today’s society. It is not as bad as it was fifty years ago, but it is still pretty bad. Men are still in positions were they have all the power and even though women have been trying to change this, I don’t see it changing very soon. For example, our Presidents have been men from the beginning; we haven’t even had women as vice presidents. Women are more than capable of doing this job as well as men, but our society is scared of change and allowing women to hold jobs high in power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I definitely think that perceptions of occupations affect career choices. For example, many people, when they think of nurses, think of a female. This may lead to men not seeking nursing careers. On the other hand, many people, when they think of construction workers, think of males. This may lead to women not seeking careers in construction. Personally, society's perceptions of occupations does not effect me. I know that society doesn't always look upon theatrical people in a positive light, but I still seek a career in theatre.
    2. Gender stereotypes do not play as big of a role in today's society, but still play a small role. In the 1950's, a wife was vernally expected to stay at home and care for the house and the children. Men were the ones to go to work and make a living. Today, many times both parents work. Men and women are both encouraged to achieve success in a career. Some might argue that men get hired for certain jobs, while women get hired for others. Some might argue that men get paid more than women for doing the same job. Luckily, laws have been passed that prohibit this kind of discrimination. I do think, however, that gender stereotypes still play a role in society. I think different people picture a certain gender for certain jobs. I think a lot of people picture males as doctors. I think a lot of people picture teachers as women. Fortunately, society has strayed away from generalizations like this, but I think society still has a lot of work to do when it comes to overcoming gender stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I do think that my perception of occupations affects my career choice. If a certain career path is looked at negatively, I would be less likely to look into that career to pursue. Also, I think that many people generalize careers according to gender. For example, when people think doctor they associate mostly males, while the females are mainly nurses.Personally, I judge occupations by if they sound boring and repetitive. For example, an office job that works 9-5 Monday through Friday sounds extremely boring and not for me. I like doing different things, but still having a schedule of when things are to happen which is part of the reason my career path is education.
    2. I believe that there are still gender stereotypes but they are less prominent in today's society. For example, women are viewed as less capable of certain positions, particularly ones with power. Women are able to obtain these positions, but it is less common and seems more difficult. However, both men and women are encouraged to be successful and pursue careers. Stereotypes are still prominent in certain jobs because of how people picture one gender having a certain job, such as political leaders being male and school teachers being female. It is becoming better about not having generalizations, but the generalizations will not be forgotten anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I do not think my perception of different occupations effects my career choice because there are both positives and negatives to each career. I am going into teaching and my perception of a teacher varies with many people. I see both male and female teachers who are of different races. Growing up I typically had white female teachers so this does not apply to me and I believe this shouldn't have an effect on anyone's career choice because we should all pick a career we want to do.

    2. I believe gender stereotypes still play a role in todays society but they have changed overtime. Even though women work now and can vote, it still seems that men have more power than women. An example would be the presidency because we have always had a male president. More examples of gender stereotypes are that men are usually owners of companies, construction workers, truck drivers, and pilots, while women are usually nurses and teachers. Most of these stereotypes are true but in todays society the gender roles can be switched.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Does your perception of different occupations effect your career choice?
    I do not think the gender plays a role in my career choice. Because i see both female and male scientists and I feel like the science community doesn't discriminate on gender. I feel like its more based on your intellect is and what you can bring to the table to solve the problem they are studying.
    2. Do gender stereotypes still play a role in todays society? Why or why not?
    I would say stereotypes still play a role in our society. Even in some work places men are still payed higher wages even if they are doing the exact same job as women. Also a lot of jobs still have stereotypes with them like truck divers and construction workers for males and nurses and teachers for women. But along with that i wouldn't exactly say that these are bad things and that the other gender can not do the job but the physiological way our body's are built helps us fill these roles better based on our gender. Such as men are usually strong and are able to lift more amounts and women are usually more compassionate and motherly than men. I don't consider these stereotypes i consider these facts and based on these facts it makes sense that the jobs that require more lifting or more compassion are dominated by that gender. Again i'm not saying that either of the other gender can not fill that role because there are some strong women out there but on average i think we could all say these gender roles make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. In some ways my perception of different careers can effect my career choice. My parents want to have a child with a cool degree or title and my brother and sister didn't give them that so I'm like the last shot to be "successful". I do think certain careers get looked at in a better light than others and that has also effected my career choice because I want to be looked at as successful and smart, so there are certain things that have has an influence on my perceptions of career choices. 2. I think it depends on the person and the job, or situation if gender stereotypes still play a role in today's society. There are still people that believe women shouldn't work, or once they start a family they should quit their jobs and be stay at home moms. Guys are still looked towards to be the bread winners and providers for the family or his wife. I think in certain positions, like CEOs or lawyers, men are looked on to have more authority and confidence when speaking about things and people are more likely to listen to a man that is in this role than a woman. However the other side of that is women are looked at for the nurse and teacher type roles and are more highly regarded if it is a woman in this role instead of a man. I think there are reasons behind these stereotypes and some may make sense or at least are easier to understand than others but I do think that gender stereotypes still play a role in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. My perception of different occupations does affect my career choice. For example, I no longer wish to work in the food service industry because my experiences have lead me to perceive it as hectic, stressful, and hard on the body. But I do want to work in healthcare because both of my parents worked in healthcare and therefore have given me the perception that it is a good field to go into in order to be successful.
    2. Gender stereotypes do still play a role, but not as much as they used to. Women are allowed to go into just about any field a man is, but some people still have stigmas about women being in, say, the motor repair or engineering fields. On the flip side, men can also be fashion designers and nurses, however stereotypes make it more difficult for both genders to do these kinds of jobs. Therefore people sometimes tend to pick occupations that avoid conflict with stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. For the most part it does not change my choice. I want to do something that I will find enjoyment in and that include my interests (hopefully). Though, at times it does because I know I do not want to work in food service because of the stories I have heard.
    2. Gender stereotypes do still play a role in society. Though women have been able to make big steps towards equality, they are still payed less, are less likely to get higher positions, and there are still areas that women have a hard time entering such as car dealerships. On the other side, when men enter more "feminine" type jobs like nursing, things to do with young children, or something in fashion, they might be seen as feminine or gay. When people find out that my father is a nurse, they always tend to give me a strange look, as if it's not normal for a man to be a nurse, but if it was my mother they wouldn't question it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. My perception of different occupations does effect my career choice. I know that I would not like to work in food service again because of my past experiences and because I perceive it to be very stressful and aggravating. I would like to do something that I find to be enjoyable and is of interest to me.

    2.Gender stereotypes do still play a role in today's society, but they are not as bad as they used to be. Men are still viewed to have higher positions in jobs, even though women can now achieve the same positions, it seems as though men still have much more power than women do. Although women have been climbing up the career latter in many occupations, they are still not seen to be on the same level as men.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1.) I think my perceptions affect which career I will choose. There are many careers I won't even consider doing because I have negative perceptions about them and my parents and friends' perceptions have also influenced mine. I could never be a semi driver or a fast food employee because I perceive these jobs as underpaid and needing no college education. I also have positive perceptions of careers I want like being a therapist, or an OT, I view these as good jobs because they pay well, they seem successful, its not a high stress job, its a needed job, and it has many benefits.

    2.) I think gender stereotypes play a huge role in society still today. Men are still viewed as the "breadwinners" while women are to stay home and raise a family and take care of the home. If women do have jobs, they are underpaid and do not hold the highest positions it seems like. People also still view bosses as men and secretaries as women. This is a prime example of a gender stereotype.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1) I don't think my perception of different career choices has impacted my career choice. Their are ups and downs with each and every job. I also have not experienced all of the jobs, so something that I view to be boring, might actually be interesting to me. I try and keep all of my options open and not make any judgments about things until I tried them for myself.
    2) I believe that gender stereotypes do still play a role in todays society. Many of the CEO or Presidents of companies are males and females aren't getting an opportunity to prove that their may be better qualified for the job. Some jobs are refereed to a man's job or a woman's job, but in reality anybody can do it. You should base who you are going to hire by qualifications not stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who 'references' jobs in this way? Why do they make these distinctions? Does this impact behaviors?

      Delete
  15. 1. I feel like as much as I don't want to admit that perceptions of different career choices have impacted my own career choice, they have. I worked in fast food for three years and I know that I don't want that to become my permanent job. I also have perceptions about certain office jobs and feel like I would be bored. These perceptions have influenced my choice in wanting a job that helps the public and has many social interactions involved.
    2. Gender stereotypes certainly play a role in today's society. Most women are teachers, nurses, and other typical pink collar jobs even today. Although more and more men and women are breaking these stereotypes, I still believe they are playing a role. Women are still not payed the same as men, or even offered higher power or leadership positions because of these stereotypes that men are more dominate and 'qualified' for those positions. Also when many men pursue typically women held positions they are degraded or seen as less than.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. My perception of different occupations effects my career choice a lot because I can see how much work I will have to put in at a certain job. If I do not like a certain career and see that before I decide what I want to do that will help me stay away from choosing a career I will not like. I feel like you have to know what is is you want to do before you do it in a career. You do not want to pick the wrong career and hate it just because you never asked about or witnessed that job.
    2.Gender sterotypes have been in this society since it has started. In today's world we have tried to get away from stereotypes but they still exist. We still expect women to take care of children and cook. We expect all men to work and support the family. Sterotypes are still around today mainly because they are so hard to break and people have just become accustomed to them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. I would think that there are certain job perceptions that effect my career choice. I've always been told to go to school to get a good job and that I don't want to end up as something that apparently is less than what I can accomplish. I don't think there were many kids growing up to be the garbage man. I think that these perceptions are connected to the jobs that no one really wants to do but still has to get done.

    2. I feel like gender stereotypes do still play a role in today's society. I think there is always going to be a gender stereotype in our society. Women still make less money doing that same jobs that men do. There are still certain careers that are and have been mostly held by men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it that EVERYONE doesn't want to do these jobs, or, that some people have negative views/perceptions of these jobs, even though they might be personally fulfilling? How does society contribute to these views? Why do the gender stereotypes persist?

      Delete
  18. 1. My perception of different occupations does effect my career choice because if I personally perceived something as boring or uninteresting I obviously will not choose that career. For example, I always thought I wanted to be an accounted but once I shadowed someone on the job my perception of it had made up my mind that the field is uninteresing. My perception made me realize I would rather do something in the health field because I became aware it is more lively, entertaining, and hands on.
    2. I do think that there are gender stereotypes in todays society, however they are not as differenciated as they used to be. It is still common to see the man as the main income in the household, but now more women are becoming full-time, high-income workers as well. Also, there are not nearly as many stay at home mothers as there used to be and more fathers take on the role of cooking and cleaning. I believe the stereotypes do exist just because people dwell on the past and are accustomed to it being the norm, but it should not exist because times have definitely changed due to the ecomony and technology.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My perception of different occupations does affect my career choice because a choice in a career has a lifelong effect. Therefore, I'm going to choose to go into a field that I find interesting and fun, not as a hassle or just a job to bring home a paycheck. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever been given was to choose something that excites me. Something that I can't wait to get up in the morning and do. Passion for a career is very important.

    I think that gender stereotypes do play roles in todays society. For example, if I mention a firefighter, soldier, cop,or even a doctor I automatically picture a male. When mentioning a stay at home parent, nurse, secretary, or hairdresser most of us would picture a female. There stereotypes are not anything negative necessarily until it has to do with power. For example, some argue that a women president won't ever be elected, which isn't fair. These structures are formed by our past because of traditions from the many generations before us.

    ReplyDelete