Sunday, April 13, 2014

Discussion Questions: Effects of Code Usage
Due: Tuesday, April 15, 2014; 11am

1. What does silence mean to you when you are in a group of people?
2. Do you prefer a direct or indirect style when having a conversation? Why?

17 comments:

  1. 1. When I am in a group of people, silence usually means that there is awkwardness or tension in the group. I enjoy talking to others and when there is silence I sometimes feel uncomfortable. The meaning of silence can also vary in different situations. For example, if I was with a group of people in a classroom listening to a teacher lecture, silence is normal in that kind of setting. If I were with my friends and there happened to be silence, I would feel awkward because usually there is a lot of talking between my friends and I. Another situation can be when I am with my talkative family and there is silence, this usually means my siblings or I just got yelled at and we are being punished. I feel that silence is appropriate in some situations but at other times it can feel uncomfortable since I enjoy talking and listening to others.

    2. I prefer a direct style when having a conversation because this eliminates misunderstanding with others. When I am talking to someone I like to get the word across in an understanding way so others know what I am asking or telling them. I also prefer others talking to me in a direct way so that I know what they are asking or telling me. In certain situations it can better to have an indirect conversation because then the sender won't offend or surprise the reader in what he or she is saying. Usually with my family and friends I prefer direct conversation to get a better understanding and to allow them to have a better understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silence to me means that there could be awkwardness or tension in a group, especially if it happens after a person says something that can be a touchy subject to others in the group. But I also think that silence can mean comfortably within a group because when you are comfortable with the people you are around there's no need to continually have conversation or background noise.
    I would prefer a direct style when having a conversation, I don't want to have any miscommunication when talking to others or have them misunderstand what I was trying to say to them. I also don't like it when people beat around the bush when talking to me I would much rather have them say what is on their mind and be up front than try to sugar coat everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. When I am in a group of people, silence typically means that we have reached a point of awkwardness. However, this depends on how comfortable I am with the group I am in. If we are all very comfortable with each other the silence does not seem awkward and it does not bother me. However, if I am around new people and silence happens the level of awkwardness is at it's maximum. Awkwardness seems to be more prevalent in situations where the people involved are not at a certain level of comfort with each other. When my family is silent it can mean one of two things, either we just got done fighting or there is not another we need to say to each other. Silence can be appropriate in all situations but it just ranges in awkwardness based on how comfortable the people are in the group.
    2. I prefer to have a direct conversation that way everything it plain and simple to understand. In a direct conversation, there is hardly any miscommunication with the direct communication style. However, if you do not want to offend someone an indirect style is better to use. I try to be upfront and to the point when I am speaking so that there is no miscommunications between me and the person I am talking to. I would like people to be direct with me as well that why I do not misinterpret anything they say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. If I am in a group of people silence could mean a couple different things. Silence could mean that no one is talking because they have nothing to say or something awkward or embarrassing was just said and the silence means that everyone doesn't know what to say. Silence in a group could also mean that they are being respectful or reverent, such as in church when there is a moment of silence. There could be silence in a group of people who don't know each other and don't know how to begin a conversation. In my group of friends there is usually only silence if we are mad at each other or are in a fight and no one wants to talk there is an empty silence. Silence is also appropriate when someone is giving a speech or a teacher is lecturing because this is the polite thing to do. Ultimately silence can mean many different things and can sometimes carry as much meaning as words do.

    2. I prefer a direct style of communication when I am speaking and when I am listening to people as well. First of all I am terrible at picking up on indirect cues. It is a lot easier for me to follow what someone is saying if they basically spell it out for me. I think a direct form of communication leaves less room for misunderstandings and allows better relationships to form when there is less confusion on what was said. I think that ambiguous statements will just make things harder for people to get the literal meanings of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.) If I'm in a group of people and there's silence I would figure that we've just run out of things to talk about. It doesn't necessarily have to be awkward, but it doesn't help if the awkwardness lasts for an extended period of time. I don't necessarily mind if there is silence. If I'm with people I've known for a long time, the silence is okay for me, because by that point there's a sense of comfort of not having to keep conversation going. If I'm with people I don't know, it's never bothered me, because I know I could ask anything and get the conversation going again.

    2.) I prefer direct conversation. I hate having to guess what people are thinking or what they mean because they choose to be obscure. I feel like sometimes trying to communicate is a game with some people and that can just be aggravating. In relationships direct conversation is ideal because then there isn't any cryptic messages going on, and more than likely the relationship will benefit from it. Indirect conversations lead to misunderstandings and that's never fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I would say it depends on the situation. If I'm a group of people I don't know, I would say it's just that we don't know each other and therefore have nothing to talk about. If in a group of people I do know, then I would say it's because there's a lull in the conversation and we're all thinking of the next thing to bring up and talk about. It can be awkward especially with people you've just met and are only just getting to know, but when in groups of people you do know then it's usually a comfortable silence.

    2. I prefer a direct conversation. I like to have an clear understanding of what's being said in the conversation. I hate having to guess what others are trying to say and I feel uncomfortable asking a person to explain multiple times what they mean. A direct conversation is just a lot easier for both parties involved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Silence, within a group of people, can mean many things. Obviously, the silence is most likely due to an error in communication. The silence could be due to a communication error. Maybe every person in the group speaks a different language and no one can translate between them. The silence could also have to do with the environment. At many of the beginning of the actives for freshmen this year, many groups sat in total silence. Very few of us knew each other, and the people we did know usually ended up in a different group. Silence could be the result of an internal conflict. If a principle is talking to a group of students about inappropriate behaviors, many times the students sit in silence waiting for a peer to take responsibility. In a debate, often times silence occurs because the argument has reached stasis. Silence can happen for many reasons, but silence is rarely a positive state.
    2. I prefer direct style, because I want to know the intention of the person I am talking to. I'm not a fan of hidden messages or underlying messages. When I have a problem, I usually confront people with it. I'm a big believer that if you have a problem with someone, and you don't communicate that problem with them, all of the blame rests on you. Communication can make most problems much better. Obviously in some situations, communication and direct conversation only make the situation worse. But I think that in general, direct conversation is always more appropriate. In a job interview, you want to make sure you are giving an honest display of your work ethic. In school, communication with professors must be important so that there is never any confusion about the expectations of the class.I don't have a problem with saying no directly. Many times "no" needs to be combined with an explanation, but saying "no" directly does not bother me. In fact, I think it is necessary. Te U.S. is a busy place, and I don't think this culture has time for indirect conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. When I am with a group of my close friends or family, I value silence. I think in these situations silence can speak more than words ever could. I do think, in social situations, many people find silence extremely scary. Our generation has been taught to fear silence, it almost reveals a self-conscious aspect we innately have as Americans. When there is silence we feel uncomfortable and most of us use fillers like "um" or have word vomit. I think it would be extremely interesting to experience a culture where silence is valued to the highest degree, like in Japanese culture. I think this would be a much different way of life, much more calm.

    2. I prefer direct communication, even though this may contradict my previous statement. I think being raised in America makes it hard to really even imagine indirect communication because it is so rarely encountered. I would be very aggravated if someone talked to be in vague, ambiguous ways, simply because I wouldn't understand why. I have higher regard for the meaning behind words, as does most of the people in today's society. We think if someone is being indirect they don't know what they are talking about or they are trying to confuse us. But in reality, it is just a different way of communicating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Silence in a group of people depends on the group. If I am in a group with my friends and there is silence, then that usually means that someone has been offended by someone else's comment. However, if I am in a group of people that I do not know, then silence is expected since no one knows each other and they don't know what to talk about. I think silence scares people because silence in not a normal thing in conversations, but I also think that people over think the issue of silence.
    2. I prefer direct communication because then I know for sure what I am supposed to be doing and then there are no miscommunications. We live in a society that uses a lot of direct communication and I can't imagine living in a society that focuses on indirect communication. It would be a lot harder to interpret what people are trying to say by communicating indirectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1.) When I am in a group of people, to me, silence means that something is awkward or there is tension. If I am in a group of people that I am comfortable with and there is silence it probably just means no one has anything to say, but if there is silence in a group I am not familiar with it typically would mean that it's awkward or there is tension. If you are in a group where you don't know people usually the common thing to do would be to talk it out and get to know each other to lessen the tension. Our culture and generation typically doesn't experience silence within a group anymore because it makes things awkward and someone always has something to talk about, so that's why I have come to believe that silence within a group is either caused by tension or something is awkward.
    2.) I prefer direct communication style when I am having a conversation. I am a very straight forward person and like to get to the point when having a conversation so if someone else isn't directly stating what they mean or want during a conversation I get very irritated. Indirect style of conversation is just very awkward and doesn't really get much accomplished because you are always beating around the bush and not getting to the point. I don't like when people sugar coat their words or don't say what they want because that leads to miscommunication, I prefer to just say what needs to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1.) Silence can mean many things when in a group of people, but usually it is not a positive thing. Silence can mean that someone said something to offend someone else or that no one knows what to say, so everyone is just staying quiet. Silence is typically a sign that you do not know the group well and don't know what to talk about, or that someone has been offend and the conversation has been put on hold. Silence can sometimes be positive if you are with a group of people you are close with. My family and I sometimes just ride in silence or talk during dinner and then have silence and its not because we are offended or because its awkward. Sometimes I think its because we have run out of things to say, and others time I think its because we are content to just enjoy each others company and don't need to fill the time with talking too.

    2.) I much prefer direct messages because I want to know exact what is being said to me. I hate trying to guess at what the person is trying to communicate or trying to read their mind, and direct messages make it much easier to understand what they are trying to communicate. I am also a very blunt person and mostly use direct messages, so if the other person is using direct messages as well then we will have far less miscommunication because there will be nothing for us to guess about or try to interpret ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Silence can be interpreted many ways within different groups of people. Within some groups it can often mean there is tension between people because something that may have been done or said to offend someone else. When I am with my close friends or family silence is not a always a bad thing. I like that when I'm with these people I can sit comfortably and not have to worry about keeping a conversation going because it is not necessarily needed.

    2. I prefer direct communication when having a conversation with someone. I like knowing and understanding what is being said to me and I would like the person I am talking to to understand what I am saying. It's harder to have miscommunications this way and it gets straight to the point. I don't like having to guess what someone is trying to tell me, I'd rather them just say it up front.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. When I am in a group of people I do not view silence as awkwardness like discussed above. I believe that silence represents a sense of comfortableness amongst the group, it shows that conversation is not forced. Also, I view silence as a positive vibe amongst a group because it shows that others are willing to listen when someone does speak. Silence, to me, is a respectful and important communication skill.

    2. However, when having a conversation, I do prefer a direct style because it eliminates miscommunication and it is much more easily understood. Having a direct conversation indicates that I will know exactly what message the other person is trying to send and it is portrayed as a much more comfortable setting. This does not mean, though, that I do not think indirect communication is important. I believe that indirect communication is just as equally important because it expands your ability to think, opening your mind to new knowledge. Indirect communication is important because it shows that you are actually interested in the conversation because it requires you to really observe and listen. Like in the first question, indirect conversation may strike silence and influence comfortableness amongst a group as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. Silence could mean different things when I am with a group of people. It depends on who the group of people are. If they are people I am comfortable with, then the silence is most likely a comfortable one. Since I know the people in the group, I would assume we wouldn't need to feel the silence with talking just so it isn't silent anymore. If the group of people is made up of people I don't really know, I think that the silence would be an uncomfortable one. If I'm in a group of people I don't really know, I would be somewhat hesitant to speak up so I would just stay quiet.

    2. I would prefer a direct style when having a conversation. I usually say exactly what I'm thinking so I'm somewhat very straightforward. I wouldn't want to confuse anyone with what I am trying to tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. I think that silence has different meanings with a group of people. For example, during a class while taking a test- silence is expected and the norm. However, during a class discussion when a teacher asks a question, expecting an answer and no one responds, that silence I feel is awkward. If it's silence between a group of my friends and I, I don't find it silence awkward. On the contrary, we've all met a stranger for the first time, and experienced that "awkward silence" somewhere in the conversation.

    2. I prefer to have direct conversations. I think that it's easier to get a message across and heard loud and clear. I think that this can probably depend on what personality type a person is. Shyer people might prefer an indirect conversation. However I am most comfortable with a direct conversation because this way their are no miss-communications and if there are they can be explained much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1) To me, silence in a group either means that no one has anything to say or people are afraid of speaking up and saying the wrong thing so they don't say anything at all. That is typically what happens in class when we get into our group discussions. Personally, I am usually comfortable with silence, so maybe other people are too.
    2) I prefer a direct form of communication because it is much less confusing. Indirect communication leads to misunderstanding or miscommunication and usually leads to more problems.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1) Silence in a group means that no one is talking. It means that everyone is pondering their own thoughts and not speaking any language, or making any nonverbal cues to anyone. It also means that there is no background noise going on therefore there are no distractions.
    2) I prefer having a direct form of communication because I think it is more personable. I think there are also less conflicts when it is direct because there are less miscommunications made. I think that you get to know someone better also by having direct communication. I think our world today has lost the talent of direct communication and we need to get it back. So many of us hide behind our technology instead of facing someone and communicating with them.

    ReplyDelete